Master programme in Aquatic Ecology
This master’s programme is focussed on current theories and models of aquatic ecosystems. You will study the relationships between watershed, atmosphere, lakes and streams, human impact on aquatic ecosystems, as well as restoration and sustainability. During this programme, you will receive extensive practical training in state-of-the-art aquatic methodology. You will learn how to perform aquatic projects, including everything from stating hypotheses to sampling, data analyses and finally how to write and present a scientific report. Your teachers are active researchers and you study in close association with an international research environment.
Get some inspiration to what the Master's programmes leads to. You find completed Master's degree projects in biology on LUP Student Papers.
Recommended course of study
The programme comprises two years of full-time studies (120 credits), with at least 90 credits at advanced level within the field of Aquatic Ecology. Teaching is carried out in the form of courses, primarily in modules worth 15 credits, and a degree project for one or two semesters.
- Limnology and Marine Ecology – Concepts and Processes BIOR86
- Limnology and Marine Ecology – Organism and Habitats BIOR87
- Geographical Information Systems GISA21 (on the web site of Physical Geography and Ecosystem Sciences)
- Processing and- Analysis of Biological Data BIOS14 and Modelling Biological Systems BIOS13 or Ecotoxicology BIOR41
Courses corresponding to 120 credits, of which should encompass
Compulsory Courses, 45 credits:
- Limnology and Marine Ecology – Concepts and Processes 15 credits (BIOR86)
- Limnology and Marine Ecology – Organism and Habitats 15 credits (BIOR87)
- Aquatic Ecology 15 credits (BIOR82)
Elective Courses, at least 15 credits:
- Modelling in Biological Systems 7,5 credits (BIOS13)
- Processing and Analysis of Biological Data 7,5 credits (BIOS14)
- Ecotoxicology 15 credits (BIOR41)
- Water management 15 credits (BIOR66)
Optional Courses, 0-30 credits
Master´s degree project in biology BIOM02/BION02/BION03, 30/45/60 credits
Master of Science (Two Years)
Major: Biology with specialization in Aquatic Ecology